We're not kidding when we say it's the last frontier. Big Bend is a long way from anywhere. The nearest Wal-Mart is two and half hours away. So factor in some extra travel time whether you're driving, flying or traveling by train.
Directions to Far Flung Outdoor Center
We are located on Farm Road 170 about one-half mile west of the intersection of Highway 118 and Farm Road 170. We are on the left hand (south) side of FM 170 as you travel towards the Terlingua ghost-town and Lajitas. Our office facilities are in a tan metal building with red trim. Look for the large yellow sign with our name and logo.
We are 10-12 hours from Houston and Dallas; 7 hours from Austin and San Antonio; 4.5-5 hours from El Paso and about 3.5-4 hours from Midland/Odessa. Please add an extra day of driving on both ends of your trip to account for distances. Repair shops in the Big Bend are few and far between, so make sure the old clunker is in good working condition.
- If you are driving from Houston - our suggestion is to travel I-10 to San Antonio and then take Highway 90 through Del Rio for the drive out to Big Bend. On the return trip, take I-10 from Fort Stockton back to Houston, which is a faster journey.
- If you are driving from Dallas - take I-20 to just west of Odessa, then take either Farm Road 1053 or Highway 18 (from Monahans) south to Fort Stockton. Then Highway 67 South to Alpine and Highway 118 South to Study Butte/Terlingua.
- If you are driving from Austin - take Highway 290 through Fredericksburg to I-10; travel west on I-10 to Fort Stockton; take Highway 67 to Alpine, then Highway 118 South to Study Butte/Terlingua.
- If you are driving from El Paso - take I-10 east to Van Horn, then Highway 90 to Alpine; then Highway 118 South to Study Butte/Terlingua.
- If you are driving from Midland/Odessa - take I-20 to just west of Odessa, then take either Farm Road 1053 or Highway 18 (from Monahans) south to Fort Stockton. Then Highway 67 South to Alpine and Highway 118 South to Study Butte/Terlingua.
Southwest Airlines has the best connections into Midland. Several rental car agencies are available at the airport. Drive time from the Midland airport to Big Bend is about 3.5 hours.
Amtrak (800-872-7245) has service several times a week into Alpine, but don't be in a big hurry as the train can sometimes run late. Local rental car service is available at Alpine Auto Rental (see below).
Rental Car Service
A Word About GPS Units
We could tell you some funny stories about guests who have tried to find us using the latest GPS gadgets, but we'll spare you the details (but feel free to ask when you get here!). While the GPS units will eventually get you to the Big Bend, they may route you through Canada or Poland, so be sure and use a map to help guide the way!